Friday, March 12, 2010

Looking Back

I was looking back in my journal entrees and noticed one that hit home for me...at the time I wrote it I was struggling with myself. Funny how that might sound, seriously what christian doesn't encounter a fight or two with themselves. Anyhow here it goes...

~Repentance~

Last couple of weeks have been hard on me spiritual. The human stumbles and falls more than I generally like. But I am thankful to know that God will help you/me up when we/I slip...

Repentance- a turning away from sin, disobedience, or rebellion, and a turning back to God.

1 Kings 8:47; Job 42:6; Luke 17:3; 2nd Corinthians 7:10 (where I will be reading and looking at)

1 Kings 8:47
But in that land of exile, they might turn to you in repentance and pray "We have sinned, done evil, and acted wickedly" if they turn to you with their whole heart and soul in the land of their enemies and pray toward the land you gave to their ancestors-toward this city you have chosen, and toward this temple i have built to honor your name-then hear their prayers and their petition from heaven where you live, and uphold their cause. Forgive your people who have sinned against you. Forgive all the offenses they have committed against you. make their captors merciful to them, for they are your people-your special possession-whom you brought out of the iron-smelting furnace of Egypt.

-When we aren't in tune with God it almost feels where in exile. We are not listening but listening to our flesh are sinful nature. Even though we have done wrong and might do more wrong in the future God instead of turning away from us, forgives us and saves us from what has captured us.  Even though we know we are sinning and hate the sin that we are committing are mind finds ways to justify the sin...but are soul condemns us and reminds us to turn back to our savior, Jesus.

Luke 17:3
So watch yourselves! "If another believer sins, rebuke that person' then if there is repentance, forgive. even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and ask forgiveness, you must forgive."

-Now if we are called to be forgiving isn't are Father just as forgiving...I would say more. I would say even though I should be forgiving, I know that I fall short. Lord teach me how to be more like you!

2nd Corinthians 7:10
For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. There's no regret for that kind of sorrow. But worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual death.

Sorrow for our sins can result in changed behavior. many people are sorry for the effects of their sins or for being caught (sorrow which lacks repentance). Compare Peter's remorse and repentance with Juda's bitterness and act of suicide. Both denied Christ. One repented and was restored to faith and service; the other took his own life.
-I continued to read in my bible and found such a lovely explanation of repentance! I can't explain this better, all I can do is relate it to my own life. Instead of letting sin conquer my life, I think I will let the Lord conquer me. I feel I will have the better end of the deal by allowing his love and control over my life then taking matters into my own hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment